Rocky Mountain Credit Union, formerly State Capital Employees Credit Union, has experienced a history of terrific growth and change since its inception, while always focusing on providing exemplary service to its members/owners. The credit union was chartered on December 17, 1940 by then Secretary of State Sam W. Mitchell with a total of 47 charter members. The original bylaws limited the membership and sphere of operations to those employed by the State of Montana and living in Lewis and Clark County. Members who left this specific sphere of membership could retain all of the credit union’s member privileges except he or she could only borrow up to the extent of their share holdings.
Financial services available through the credit union were very minimal in those early days. Members were limited to simply taking advantage of share/savings accounts. Interest was payable semiannually on the first day of January and July.
The original officers of the credit union were comprised of a nine member Board of Directors, five Credit Committee members, and three Supervisory Committee members.
During the 1940 start-up, credit union business was transacted in the Secretary of State’s office in the capital building. But change is inevitable. Shortly after World War II, the credit union was recessed. However, the credit union was not finished fulfilling its role as a member-owned, not-for-profit financial institution.
In January 1956, State Capital Employees Credit Union was recognized by a number of the charter members and other state employees. For many years, office space for the credit union moved to various locations in the Capital building. Soon, a more permanent home would be found. In November 1968, the office was moved to 1212 Helena Avenue in Helena. The credit union’s assets at this time totaled $342,000.00.
After seven years in the Helena Avenue location, State Capital purchased land at one of its present locations (1820 11th Ave) in 1975. A new building was completed and staff moved their offices in the fall of 1976 where we continue business today. And, once again, change is inevitable.
In 1981, the credit union acquired a building owned by former Bozeman Federal Credit Union at 2361 West Main in Bozeman. The location became the branch office serving all of Gallatin County.
The credit union membership grew and land was procured to build a new facility in 1994. The Bozeman branch moved into its new home at 8645 Huffine Lane in December of 1996.
Expanding to Serve the Community
The Sphere of membership for State Capitol had yet another change in store. In the fall of 1999, the Credit Union’s membership requirements were expanded yet again to include all persons who live or work in Lewis and Clark County. In May 1999, the Board of Directors began work to select a new name which would better represent the credit union’s expanded membership of all of Lewis and Clark and Gallatin counties as well as state employees in 20 other counties. The name “Rocky Mountain Credit Union” was chosen and approved by the Montana State Division of Financial Institutions and the Secretary of State on October 18, 1999.
Our field of membership has continued to grow with mergers with Yellowstone Conference Federal Credit Union, MPS-Blue Shield Federal Credit Union, and Montana Citizens Community Federal Credit Union over the years.
In the fall of 2004, the credit union opened an additional branch in Helena at 3400 N. Montana Avenue. The new facility serves as the main branch and another easily accessible location for the members. In January 2013, the credit union opened the Belgrade, Montana branch at 90 West Madison Avenue to serve members from the surrounding community.
There’s no doubt that our years of success since our humble beginnings in 1940 are directly due to our members/owners. Members are the bedrock of the institution. We extend our gratitude to our members and say thank you for many great years. We pledge to continue offering the best in service to you in the future.